Australian Light Horse Association
20 October 2017, 06:34:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5th Light Horse - complete biograhical listing on line  (Read 29171 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 17 September 2011, 08:15:58 am »

Date: 3/26/00
Time: 3:52:18 PM
Remote Name: 210.141.67.132
Comments

For anyone interested, I have completed a biographical listing of the 2,543 soldiers who passed through the 5th Light Horse Regiment from 1914 - 1919, and have posted this onto my web site. The list includes those who were 'Taken on Strength' of the regiment as well as those who, though originally posted, were 'Not Taken on Strength', but were transferred to other units. A history of the regiment is to follow, as well as some photos and maps. The main website address is:

Leaders of Anzacs: ANZAC officers died at Gallipoli http://www.surfline.ne.jp/3dolans/Anzac%20Pages/Index.html

The 5th Light Horse link will be found on this page. Any comments, suggestions, etc. would be welcome.

Regards, Bryn Dolan

Date: 11/24/00
Time: 8:08:33 PM
Remote Name: 63.34.218.48
Comments

I am no surfing expert and have been unable to access the Biographical Listing. I picked up a reference somewhere to my grandfather Edwin McCrohon about whose experiences we know nothing. He was wounded and blinded and sent home from Cairo I think but don't know when. Can you please help. With thanks, Ian McCrohon.

Date: 5/7/00
Time: 3:35:18 PM
Remote Name: 202.139.227.2
Comments

Bryan, I was looking through your listing, (love it, well done) and noticed Trooper Jack Leswell is shown as no known grave. Page 57 of the 11th Light horse Regiment History records "The regiment suffered one fatal casulty, and we buried him there in a lonely grave, deep in the solitude of the Maghara Hills. A solitary grave, yet not so lonely, enriched as it is with splendid memories we hold of our"cobber", Trooper Jack Leswell."

Date: 5/16/00
Time: 5:53:02 PM
Remote Name: 210.141.67.161
Comments

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quote; I've added it to his record on the database (it won't show up on the web site till the next update). Of course many soldiers had graves at the time that their mates were still around, but in the years between their deaths and the arrival of the Imperial War Graves Registration units, many of these were lost forever. After all, they were probably only marked at the time with a bit of wood or some rocks, after which the units would move on, never to return. So though he is buried *somewhere*, he is recorded as having no known grave because the location was lost. This happened in many cases on Gallipoli too. After the evacuation the Turks used some of the crosses marking the graves as firewood, or wild dogs disturbed them, or heavy rain and wind obliterated all trace of them, making them unidentifiable. By 1919 when the IWGC units arrived to officially record the graves and concentrate the many small cemeteries into larger ones, many men, though buried, were recorded as having no known graves. For example, in 'The Farm' cenetery, the loneliest of those at Gallipoli, only seven graves are marked with headstones ('known'), yet 652 men are buried there.

Regards,

Bryn

Date: 5/6/00
Time: 3:04:11 PM
Remote Name: 165.228.129.12
Comments

Am not having any luck getting into your website - can you help? My grandfather, Ernest Alfred Field Stanfield served with the 5th Light Horse after Gallipoli. I'm interested in accessing your list and also in finding out any more that I can. With sincere thanks, Anne

Date: 3/30/00
Time: 5:19:21 PM
Remote Name: 210.141.67.126
Comments

Yes, the address as I posted it is correct, but when you click on it or copy it, for some reason an extra '25' is added to the address immediately before the '20'. I've never seen this before, but if you manually type the address, or manually remove the offending '25' from the address line in the browser window, it should be okay. Address should be:

http://www.surfline.ne.jp/3dolans/Anzac%20Pages/Index.html (CORRECT)

But is being altered to:

http://www.surfline.ne.jp/3dolans/Anzac%2520Pages/Index.html (WRONG)

Thanks for letting me know. Bryn Dolan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: