| The museum is devoted to the history of the Royal New South Wales Lancers, Australian Cavalry, Light Horse and the Armoured Corps in general. |
The Regimental Museum was commenced in 1957 in a single room in the barracks. After a few years the collection had filled the room and was still growing, creating the need for a separate museum building. Many colourful and interesting relics are now being preserved in the Museum. They include uniforms (some of which date from last century), equipment, saddlery, weapons, photographs, paintings, banners, trophies, etc. The kettle drums and banners used when the Regiment's Band was horsed are included as is the King's Banner awarded to the Regiment for its South African War Service.
Adjacent Linden House are a Covanter Bridge Layer, a Matilda 3 inch howitzer tank, and Bren Gun carrier from World War II, a Staghound armoured car, Ferret scout car, and Centurion main battle tank, all of which were used to equip the Regiment.
It should be noted that the Museum is not controlled by the Army, but an incorporated association of past members of the Lancers. The property is vested in this association.
The re-erection of Linden House has achieved two objects, it preserved one of Parramatta's oldest buildings and provided a fitting home for Australia's oldest regimental museum. In keeping with the origin of the Regiment itself, it is the product of the voluntary efforts of ordinary Australian citizens devoted to preserving relics which illustrate our history and traditions.
The ground on which the Museum stands is owned by the Commonwealth, however, all costs have to be raised by private sources. Donations are gratefully appreciated, those over $2 are tax deductable.
The Museum is open on Sundays from 10 am till 4 pm, there is a small charge for admission.
HISTORY OF LINDEN HOUSE
The building now known as Linden House can be described as a classic example of early Australian architecture. It originally stood in Macquarie Street about 500 metres from the barracks. A two storey building of sandstone, it was completed by 1828.
It was first used by the School of Industry, teaching domestic arts to the daughters of the needy. During the 1830s, it became quarters for some of the officers of the garrison. About 1840 it reverted to school use. The last school in it continued up until 1919, during this time the name "Linden House" came into use. In more recent times the building served various purposes, including that of an RSL club. The property was bought up by the AMP society in 1963, and generously given to the Royal New South Wales Lancers Association for preservation and as a site for the Museum. Stone by stone removal to the present site followed.
The exterior is the original stone used in the building re-dressed during re-erection. The doors, windows and internal joinery are replicas. The fanlight over the front door is original. An annexe built nearby serves as a storeroom and workshop.
The building was dedicated on 1 March 1981 as a memorial to members of the New South Wales Lancers, South Africa, 1899-1902, 1st Light Horse Regiment AIF, Gallipoli-Sinai-Palestine, 1914-1918, 1st Armoured Regiment (RNSWL) AIF, New Guinea-Borneo 1939-1945.
Royal New South Wales Lancers
Linden House, Lancer Barracks
Smith Street (Opposite Railway Station)
PARRAMATTA NSW 2150 AUSTRALIA