Australian Light Horse Association
17 October 2017, 07:47:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Was Sandy the Only Horse That Returned Home?  (Read 29490 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 17 September 2011, 08:12:18 am »

Date: 4/17/2001
Time: 8:59:11 AM
Remote Name: 203.10.89.15
Comments

I am aware of the claims that Sandy was the only horse to have returned home.

However, in Mr Laurence McCrea's book "Light Horse", he writes that Samson (this is the actual spelling from the book) came home in 1929 and led the Anzac Day march in Sydney in that year or the next. Mr McCrea also writes the press gave the return of the horse a lot of attention.

I would appreaciate comments on Mr McCrea's claims.

Date: 4/18/2001
Time: 12:22:20 AM
Remote Name: 63.57.225.63
Comments

I am also looking for info about other horses that may have come home. Can you tell me how to get a copy of the book you refer to? the problem is, I am in the US! If i come across any info I will pass it onto you.

Time: 6:41:38 AM
Remote Name: 203.10.89.15
Comments

Ann - my copy came from a second hand book store. If I come across another copy I will buy it for you.

Date: 4/19/2001
Time: 1:48:29 PM
Remote Name: 63.57.216.52
Comments

that would be wonderful! contact me through the board and I will give you my email address.

Time: 7:16:06 AM
Remote Name: 203.147.164.52
Comments

OFFICIALLY Sandy was the only horse returned to Australia after WWI I have not seen the book mentioned earlier and there is not a copy of it at the AWM as far as i can ascertain. However it may be possible to check through quarantine and customs archives to confirm the story.

It is most unlikely that there were offspring from any horses returned. Sandy was a gelding so scratch that one immediately.

He also was not a brumby. he was a thoroughbred. The percentage of horses exported for use as walers which had been brumbies was very minute. The majority of horses were purchased off private breeders. One of the bigger suppliers was Kidman.

According to a letter from Sir Harry Chauvel, in 1916 only 6% of horses in Australia had been judged suitable for military use.

Date: 4/19/2001
Time: 1:45:20 PM
Remote Name: 63.57.217.52
Comments

Thanks for responding. Just found a site about a horse named Bess. www.equusplazanz.com/abouthorses/bess. apparently a few managed to sneak back in!! I am not thinking that these war horses were brumbies, I am looking for one that got loose, and now its offspring are brumbies. I realize that the line would be nearly impossable to trace, all i need is, the one that got away. Maybe a foal. This may be more a matter of personal journals but as yet I don't have enough info to start contacting indivduals, plus, I'm a Yank!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: