Australian Light Horse Association
24 June 2017, 04:54:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
ALHA Website:  http://www.lighthorse.org.au

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imperial Camel Corps (CQMS C E Connors)  (Read 35112 times)
Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« on: 15 September 2011, 03:57:08 pm »

Mark C
Forum Member

Australia
7 Posts   Posted - 18/12/2003 :  11:11:01 AM 
Wondering if anyone could help with my research regarding a Great Uncle who served in the ICC: Cyril Ernest Connors.
Cyril enlisted in the AIF in Oct 1914 and served at Gallipoli with the 6th LH Regiment. He was evacuated to Malta in October 1915 with influenza and 6 months after his return to Egypt was posted to 13th Company ICC.

His ultimate rank was CQMS (which I assume is Company Quarter Master Sergeant?) but the nominal roll records him as a Warrant Officer Second Class.

In any event, he was transfered to the 4th Anzac Batt (1st Camel Brigade) in December 1917, wounded in June 1918. He was eventually transferred to the 5th Bde LH on disbandment of the ICC and returned to Australia in November 1918 on 1914 Leave.

If anyone could provide any insight into Cyril, his likely service experiences or any other information it would be greatly appreciated. I also have a photo of him sitting on his horse in what i understand is Lighthorse uniform if anyone is interested. I am not sure if it is actually a Lighthorse uniform as he was with the Berry Lancers prior to the War.

Thanks
Mark C

Roy
Forum Member

Australia
77 Posts    Posted - 18/12/2003 :  1:36:41 PM 
Hi Mark
Aust War Memorial web site's WW1 nominal roll gives his Regimental No as 639.
A search on National Archives of Aust site produced following info:

WW1 Record empty envelope only. Contents have been amalgamated with his WW2 service docs. WW2 Service No is N 393474.

Might be worth further web earch. National Archives will mail out copies of service records for about $16.

Cheers
Roy

Mark C
Forum Member

Australia
7 Posts    Posted - 18/12/2003 :  1:51:51 PM 
Thanks Roy
I have already obtained digital copies of his service records for both wars but am trying to add some 'flesh' to the details.

Thanks

Mark C

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1359 Posts    Posted - 18/12/2003 :  7:17:10 PM 
Mate,
I have all documents on the Camel Corps and can give you the following on Cyril.

He is recorded as embarking with BSqn/6 LHR having joined on the 1st Oct 1914. I should add his name is not on the embark rolls for this regt.

And shown as a 26 year old Horsebreaker from Berry NSW.

He is also shown as having two years pre war service in CSqn/26th Illawarra LHR.

Cyril was prom T/Cpl in Sep 1915 and evac to Malta in Oct with influenza from Gallipoli.

He was made T/Sgt in July 1916 and went to the 3rd Anzac Bn 13th Company Camel Corps 10th July 1916 and served with them.

He was made CQMS in Nov 1916 and WIA 30th March 1918 (GSW left hand) at the battle of Amman.

On the disbandment of the Camel Corps July 1918 he went to the LH Details as CQMS and RTA 15th Nov 1918 on 1914-1918 leave.

He served again during WWII but died on the 18th June 1942

Your referance to the 4th Anzac Bn is when the Company transfered from the 3rd Anzac Bn to the 4th Anzac Bn on the 30th Dec 1917.

Do you have any photo's of him?

S.B

Mark C
Forum Member

Australia
7 Posts    Posted - 19/12/2003 :  08:24:49 AM 
Steve
Thanks for your reply.

I have Langley's and Hall's books and read up on the battle of Amman last night. Looks as though it was not a good few days for the cameliers.

In response to your query, I have a number of photos of Cyril:

1.A photo of him sitting on his horse in Lighthorse uniform. This was taken in Australia but I am not sure when.
2.A photo of him as a young man in militia uniform.
3.A photo of him and his younger brother Percy with the Berry rugby league team (pre-war)
4.A photo of him on his wedding day; and
5.A photo of his headstone at Alstonville cemetery (which is situated between Lismore and Ballina on the NSW North Coast).

Photos 1,4 & 5 are jpegs and I can send these to you via email if you would like them.

Would you have any personal information regarding Cyril during his service or those he may have fought with?

I understand that a Colonel McArthur Onslow commanded the 5th LH once the ICC was disbanded. This was interesting to me as Cyril worked as studmaster for a short time for the Onslow McArthurs at Camden after the war. I am told he won them a prize at the Sydney Royal Easter Show. Cyril eventually returned north to Alstonville where he worked at the Lismore Experimental Farm.

I have Cyril's WW1 and WW2 service dossiers.

Are there any unit diaries or something of the sort and do you know the best course of action to go about finding them?

Thanks again for your response.

regards
Mark C

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1359 Posts    Posted - 19/12/2003 :  10:27:27 AM 
Mate,
Yes the Battle of Amman (between 27th to 30th March 1918) was not good for the Camel Corps Bde, it lost almost as many casulties as at Gaza in April 1917.

The 4th Anzac Bn with the 13th Company blow up some of the railway and culverts south of Amman on the 27th and fought off Turkish attacks on the 28th and 29th.

The company was also involved in the final battle at Hill 3039 during the assult and turk counter attacks during the 30th March.

You should read the book by Frank Reid called "The Fighting Cameliers". It has much detail on the men of the Camel Coprs from a Pte soldier during the war.

Yes mate I would like any photos you may have of him for my book on the Camel Corps, all photos of veterns weather during or post war are of great interest and value.

Yes Onslow did command the 5th LH Brigade for a time but I can find no record of Cyril being with the Brigade during this time. He was back in Egypt training new soldiers.

To get all records on the Camel Corps you will need to contact the AWM (Aust War Memorial) in Canberra as the War Diaries for the 4th Anzac Bn.

You can Email me via this site and if I can help with some of those documnents I will.

S.B

stevebecker
Veteran Forum Member

1359 Posts    Posted - 19/12/2003 :  4:59:33 PM 
P.S
Mate since you have his WWII records can you enlighten me as to why he died in June 1942? Was it an accident or illness.

Thanks again

S.B

Mark C
Forum Member

Australia
7 Posts    Posted - 20/12/2003 :  3:44:53 PM 
Steve
The record says "Died of Disease (coronary schlerosis)".

Regards
Mark
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: